Monday, December 12, 2011

How do I deal with a horrible coworker?

I work as a waitress in a small restaurant. I get along with all of my coworkers, except for one of my fellow waitresses. Every time I turn around, she's criticizing some aspect of my performance, even if I'm doing what I was trained to do. She's also insinuated that tips have been low lately because I'm an incompetent waitress. It's incredibly frustrating, especially since I know tips are better when she's not around.





I've done my best to accommodate her wishes - often to my own detriment - and it's only gotten worse. I've considered quitting more than once, but jobs are scarce in the area and I can't afford to be unemployed right now (I'm saving money for school and my wedding in May). What's the best way to deal with such a heinous coworker? Should I ask my manager to intervene? Should I simply ignore her? I'd appreciate any and all recommendations. I'm really at my wit's end.How do I deal with a horrible coworker?
Don't go to your manager unless you have proof of harassment. Just rise above her, don't stoop to her level. Usually for people like her, the biggest insult you can give her is to ignore her.





1. When you see her, be pleasant and say hello, but nothing more.





2. When she's nasty, pretend she's transparent and hum a tune to yourself so you don't hear her remarks.





3. Remind yourself everyday of your goal of saving as much as money you can for school and your wedding. Think about the day you reach that goal and how you would walk in and give the two week notice and silently say ';good bye and good riddance'; to her.





Good luck!How do I deal with a horrible coworker?
You need to talk to her one on one in private and tell her she needs to be professional and courteous no matter what or why her personal feelings she is creating a hostile workplace for you and you intend to go to the mgr and tell him what she has been doing, tell her you have been keeping track of all her verbal abuse and she needs to stop NOW or you will take it to the mgr and the regional mgr as well. it is illegal in 50 states to verbally abuse a co worker.
is she your boss? if not then just say '; I have made an effort to appease you up to now but for every inch i give you , you take a mile so it stops now. .





If you dont like me, fine. there's no reason we have to be ';friends'; but we do have to work together so if you cant be civilized then I will be filing a harrassment claim against you.





This IS your warning. you worry about your job and I'll do mine.





if you step beyond your authority with me once more then consider that charge filed. and any time you want to compare tips i will be happy to go one on one with you because everyone here knows yours are the lowest.
If you have already tried to work it out with the other waitress, then I would go to your immediate supervisor and explain what's been happening.


Ideally, they will bring you 2 together and try to work out a solution.


I don't think you should quit, then she would get her way.


And, sometimes you just have to deal with people who are difficult.
Bless your heart! What a miserable situation. Work is so much better if you can enjoy it.





One way you might approach this is to ask Ms Whiny to sit down with you over a cup of coffee or a soda ... even ask to meet her at another location ... and just tell her that your perception is that everything about you seems to irritate her. Is there anything you can do to rectify this? Often these unpleasant people don't really realize how they're seen by their coworkers.





If she's hateful or has smart aleck answers, then I'd say go to your supervisor. Explain to her/him what you're experiencing and tell her what you've done to help the situation. If Ms Whiny has pictures of the supervisor with a chihuahua dog, don't expect much help -- but if she/he is a good supervisor-manager I'd expect some results.





p.s. I've probably spent too much time in the work force, but just as a back up it wouldn't hurt to document her behaviors. Just a jot on your calendar at home will serve you well if it comes to a confrontation between you, her and your boss.


Best of luck!
She is creating a hostile work environment. File a grievance against her with management. Do not quit, get her written up instead. Keep up with this but do it according to policy.
slap her upside her head with a frying pan...that worked for me in the past:-)
Report it to your manager..Thats harrasment and there is supposed to be no tolerance for harrasment in any work place.Good luck!
She has no reason to criticize your work unless you are leaving your assigned tasks incompleted and she has to pick up the slack.


Next time she says something just ask her when she was promoted and that you really don't care what she has to say about your work because you don't report to her.


She won't likely have gotten a promotion you didn't hear about.


Don't comment on the tip thing- you know better. Who cares if she's making less than she wants to.
Why is it there's always one, or a few in every office who make it miserable for others?





This dysfunctional's creating a hostile environment, and is intimidating you. Illegal. Time to ';fight back'; - by documenting. Date, place, her full name, time, her comments towards you.





Unless she's your supervisor, she has some nerve critizing you. She may be jealous of you for some unknown reason. Not your problem.





I'll pull her aside and tell her nicely that if she doesn't cease and desist her intimidations, you'll take it up with your supervisor. Then immediately walk away. Don't wait for her answer, don't argue. The ball's now in your court. Document the fact you spoke to her, including date, time, place.





If she continues/intensifies her obnoxious behavior towards you, keep on documenting. The more she's obnoxious, the bigger a case you'll build against her. Tell your supervisor and back it up with your documentations.





If it's not resolved on his/her level - HR's next. Send them copies of all your documents, including your initial one to your supervisor.





You have the right to work in a toxic-free workplace and your supervisor has the right to put this dysfunctional in her place.


Don't quit. Qutting would mean she ';won.'; Don't let her run you out. Documenting's the way to go.





All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment