Friday, November 19, 2010

Can my coworker get fire for making racist/homophobic comments?

I have a coworker that I do not get along with. He is older (old-fashioned I suppose ) and very opinionated. He thinks he is the most American person in the work place, always telling us what's right and wrong when no one asks him. He is of Hispanic descent (American born) but he thinks he can make comments about other Hispanics not being able to speak English as ';wrong'; and that they need to learn the language. On top of that he is homophobic, saying that lesbians is right but gays are wrong. Making fun of our transgender coworker. I know he's a guy so that logic makes sense in his pea bald headed brain. I have tried to be civil with him but he finally couldn't hold it in yesterday. My coworkers and I were talking about opening bakery in an area. Out of nowhere he brings up Asian bakeries that don't have American signs and says ';Koreans are racist';. Really? My coworkers and I started laughing because he didn't understand the irony of his statement. We all told him that his statement was racist and he denied it saying that it wasn't because he said it out loud. What is wrong with this guy? Then he proceeded to berate a customer by asking her in Spanish how old she is implying that she is old enough to learn the language. Then he was ';helping'; her but refusing to speak Spanish, ya know trying to teach her a thing or two. It's like do this on your own time, not at work. If he is so concerned about people learning English then why doesn't he be proactive and set up or help teach English at night. Then later on I informed him that our coworkers were in Haiti for volunteer work and he gave a disapproving look and asked sarcastically why they were there. He has had numerous complaints and has been written up for it yet they allow him to keep his job. I want to report him but I feel like there's not point. I can't stand him and if he says one more thing I am going to go off and maybe get fired because I have some choice words for this d-bag. Are some of these examples enough to get him fired or what?Can my coworker get fire for making racist/homophobic comments?
not worth the effort just focus and do job. and yes he can get fired if you have enough proofCan my coworker get fire for making racist/homophobic comments?
Start documenting it.

What he says, to who, when, and if customers were present. Don't be aggressive about it, don't call attention to it, but just start building a paper trail. If you or another co-worker confronts him about it and asks him to cool it, write that down too.



When you think you have ';enough';, take it to HR. ';This guy is exceedingly rude and unpleasant to work with';, and hit them with the log. Keep maintaining the log, and if you need to, go to HR every Friday with it - ';this is unacceptable and must change';.



Play it cool, take a breath, and give him enough rope to hang himself with. Take it to HR and force them to deal with the issue - if they won't, take it to the head of HR. If they are intent on letting this guy keep on in his ways (';oh, he's just old - that's his way';), well, you can try taking it further up the chain or going outside the company, but I'm not really sure that is a good answer (or environment) if it's that bad. Honestly, it's something your manager should have dealt with ages ago. Document it so that your company can see how bad it is and how frequent it is. And force them to deal with it - because, hey, if he's treating clients and customers that way, I have to think that's a huge no-no.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment