Sunday, November 21, 2010

My coworkers are jerks, should I tell my boss?

I've worked for the same hospital for awhile now and I just transferred to another unit (I wanted another shift and it was available on the new unit). There are these two other nurses that I work with now who are unbearable.



For one thing, every conversation they have is about other people. They sit there and talk bad about everyone. Every time someone leaves the nurses' station they start in on them. And the things they say are really awful. One nurse brought in pictures of her 12 years daughter and the second she was out of earshot they started talking about how fat and ugly the girl was. Then they try and get you in on it. They were asking me if I liked a particular nurse and I tried to change the subject (I said something along the lines of ';I don't know her that well. She seems okay';). They could not take a hint .They would not let it go. They just kept talking about all these things she did or said. I mentioned it to a nurse from my old unit and she said that they try to get you to say stuff and then they go and tell the other person what you said. I kind of had an idea that they might so I don't say anything. I mean, I don't talk about people anyway, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.



Then there's the pranks. They sent one nurse on a wild goose chase across the hospital. They put vaseline on the phone and then told another they had a phone call.



They also do that thing where they say something mean like they're joking, but you really kind of get the idea that they're really just trying to say it.



Anyway, I have my review coming up and I have no idea what to say to my boss. My old job has already been filled, so I want to transfer to another unit. I don't want to come across like I can't get along with my coworkers and I don't want to get them in trouble (okay, I'd actually love that, but I don't want to be known as someone who snitches). And if the transfer doesn't go through I'm stuck working with them. What should I say to my boss?My coworkers are jerks, should I tell my boss?
I'm sorry this is happening to you and I completely sympathize.



I think you only have 2 options here:



1. Just bare with it and keep your head down with those 2 and NEVER talk any trash about anyone behind their back, because THEY WILL hear about it.



2. Tell your Boss, you love your job and love co-workers except a few who are unprofessional and make this workplace uncomfortable for you to do your job efficiently and you feel guilty saying this already, and then ask for a transfer (if available).



Think about those options VERY carefully. Only you could predict the outcome since you're the only one who knows those people.



Either way, if you're prepared to talk about it, make sure you're prepared if he asks you who those people are, what are you going to say? He might insist to find out and you might crumble under pressure and they would know, and even then he might not transfer you.



ARE YOU PREPARED?



It is a tough situation and I wish you all the best. If I were you, I'd keep my head down, not associate too much with those two, and wait until they get themselves in trouble. They won't need any help with that.My coworkers are jerks, should I tell my boss?
say what you said here

your boss should understand your predicament
Start by telling your boss that what you're about to say is confidential, between you and him/her (it should be anyway, but just to make SURE your name is never mentioned). Then, like you said here, you're not trying to be a snitch, but address it as an issue that is creating an uncomfortable work environment for you and your other coworkers. You'll probably have better luck using those words, as you should be entitled to a comfortable work environment and this issue is making it very difficult for you to focus on your work and function normally. You shouldn't have to be afraid to open your mouth around your coworkers afraid that they will take what you say and make fun of you behind your back, or that you'll fall victim to one of their childish pranks. Judging from the fact that they talk negatively about other people behind their backs, you can rest assured they probably start talking badly about you as soon as you turn your back. Mentioning that it affects your job performance should get you better chances of having the issue resolved. I hope things work out for you.
You could mention the 'bad attitude' of some of your coworkers without providing names. This way you aren't saying that ';you'; don't get along with others. Chances are if you feel this way towards them there are other members of the staff that feel the4 same way.
try to talk to the mean people and tell some of the nurses that they talked about what they said and if their still me maybe set something up with your boss to catch them like have o nurse bring in a video camera and the one they said had fat and ugly kids could bring the pictures back and you could record them saying mean things or something like that
yeah I would tell him
Say how much you love the shift time, but your coworkers are just so rude and annoying. Tell him all the stuff you told us, and don't worry about coming off as a snitch, just ask you boss not to tell them anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment