Friday, November 19, 2010

How to get over a ruined reputation?

Ok, this is kind of a long story but bare with me. I worked at a store almost three years ago. I actually was employed at this store two times. The first time that I was employed, I worked there because I had taken a semster off from college and I needed to support myself. so I worked there for about 5 months. When I left that job in order to go back to school, I left on good terms with my coworkers and the managers, supervisor and owners never had an issue with me.

Well, when I went back there to work during my summer break, I ended up only lasting about a month on the job. I knew from very early on, that this job was no longer a good fit for me. I was becoming annoyed by the same coworkers that I had liked the first time around. Behaviors that I had once ignored were starting to grate on my nerves. During my last week on the job, I ended up lashing out at one coworker who was like a buddy of mine on the job. I lashed out at her because coworkers and even the supervisor would always talk negatively about her and I guess I fed into that negativity. Well, a couple of days after that incident, I ended up losing it on another employee who was becoming more and more annoying to me over the course of the month that I was at the job. I had gotten along with this coworker previously but the second time around, I just could no longer stand him. I told him that he was annoying and I snapped off on him because he would go around complaining about how busy he was but then he would try to help me out with my work even when I did not ask him for help. I saw him as a controlling, rigid person who aacted like he was the boss. I thought he had a personality disorder or something like that. So I yelled at him and then told the manager that I was done with the job. After I told her that, the coworker I yelled at tried to attack me . He and another coworker then proceeded to start gossiping about me as I was on my way out the door. The supervisor was right there as everything was going on, but she did not say anything even though I had always been a dependable employee.

I know that after I left that job, that my reputation was tarnished. The store I worked at was like the main store because the owners had their office there, so I know that gossip and assumptions got back to them. I still feel bad about this even though it has been about three years. I just feel like these people then saw me as a bad person, even though I had reasons for my change in attitude. I even wrote a letter to them explaining myself and trying to clarify some things. But basically, how can I get over the fact that my reputation was ruined at a former job? People have told me to just move on, but I feel like once your name goes through the mudd, people's opinions of you change permanently.How to get over a ruined reputation?
I think your buying into the illusion that people care, or remember bad things from the past. Its been three years, there's always a new gossip like every month or week in some places. People forget, and honestly don't care after a while. I bet if you were to go back to the same job, the same poepl aren't even there anymore. Some enviornments are created by the people who work there, and if the same mix isn't there then its different. Its so true about moving on, you have to not think about it anymore, your probobly making it out to be bigger than how it really was. Hey, people change and to be honest things in the past should remain there, its up to you to let it bother you and follow you around, your in power of that.How to get over a ruined reputation?
go on..........
will you please just go on
Dude, you probably did what a lot of other people in that place were dying to do, but didn't because they didn't want to risk losing their job. Don't assume everything you did was negatively received by everyone.
Well, here's some ideas:



1. Go on a ';My Name is Earl'; quest, and make it up to everyone who you affected with your pissy behavior.

2. A lot of women can get away with unacceptable behavior by just claiming it was PMS.

3. Just talk to the managers, and let them know you didn't like the way things ended.
Well they are out of your life right? So why worry about them? Life goes on. and you shouldnt waste it feeling guilty. Its better to get things out then to hold them in right?





So you shouldnt feel guilty about lashing out.
Get over it this is just the one you know about, what about the ones you do not know about. The way you behavioured was not very good, that was than, life is about learning, so what have you learned ?

No comments:

Post a Comment