Friday, November 19, 2010

Workplace Advice-- Please Help! 10 points?

I am seeking advice on what I can do, if anything about the following situation:



I am a new hire State employee (Tennessee) and am currently still in my probationary period. I believe that my immediate supervisor has a personal issue with me (she is a known racist and my husband is black-- I am white)-- Not trying to throw the race card, but that is the only reason I can think of.



I am a good worker and I make every reasonable effort to do my job. We have a small office (seven workers) and I get along with my coworkers. My supervisor is constantly on me for the smallest things (anything and everything she can find) but allows my coworkers to do anything they please. For ex. there is a no cell phone use policy. Everyone who is there uses their cell phones daily in her presence (she uses hers as well) but the one day that I used mine I was reprimanded. She also told me that I was not allowed to read ';on state time'; but allows all the other workers to do so and even lets one play games on a lap top all day.



Today on my break (we get two 15 min.) I went to get my son from school and drop him off-- others do this every day. She said that she doesnt feel I should do this on my break time (even though it isnt a rule.) Then she told me that she was taking everyones breaks away bc of me.



She preceded to have a meeting with the whole office behind my cubicle. When I rolled my chair out to the meeting (every one was there but me) she pointed her finger at me and told me to go back to my cubicle. I was so embarrased!!



She talked about me to everyone where I could hear it. I was mortified.



What do I do??? I am afraid to file a complaint because I dont want to rock the boat, but I dont see how things could get worse! The problem is, since I am on probation she could fire me for any reason. I thought about talking to her manager..



Some one Please Help!Workplace Advice-- Please Help! 10 points?
You don't want to rock the boat?? TO HELL WITH THAT!! STAND UP FOR YOURSELF!! So you know her to be racist - are you sure? If so, that's a very powerful point here. Your husband is black, and I am guessing she knows that for a fact, she's either met him or you've mentioned it or have a pic. of him or the kids out? If she is only treating you this way, its really, really hard for me to believe that she isn't treating you this way because of a race issue. I would have to agree if you're telling it as it actually is.

If she does turn around and fire you, I would certainly not sit quietly without a reason. I am angry just sitting here thinking about this. We DO NOT live back in the 1920's. This is a complicated situation here. She is a government employee treating you like this, presumably, if you're correct, because your husband is black? I know you can't step out of line there, especially if you really need the work, but I would personally get a beautiful, framed 8x10 picture of the president and stick it right on my desk. But in all seriousness, don't ever let anyone make you feel bad or embarrassed because of where you or your family comes from. If this is how she is conducting herself, and all state employees represent the government, then she needs to be sent packing anyway. I can't even get into the complexities of having a state worker who is showing prejudice towards staff workers. An attorney would hit the jackpot and have a field day. Best of luck to you, and please, please don't put up with that kind of thing. This is America, and we've come a long way in the past 100 years. Maybe someone should tell her that.Workplace Advice-- Please Help! 10 points?
If I were you, even if the other workers are breaking rules, then don't do them. I know others do things, but it's better in the long run for common sense.



Also, if you are using your breaks to get your son and drop him off and are back on time...then she needs to back off. If there's no rules, then she can't say anything. Next time, ask her if there's a rule about using your break time as long as you're on time for work.



I never had a job that told me how to use my break time, but I had a job that recommended bringing lunch from home. It was only a recommendation. As long as you're back on time who cares?



It sounds like she has issues, but I really don't know how to solve this other than leave the job...but it sounds like you can't. Are you able to look for another one and leave when you find a new one?



I'd try following the rules and see if she backs off. Honestly, I think that if other workers break rules, I wouldn't follow what they do. It is simply common sense. Like, at the library, you can't use cell phones, but a few people break the rules. It's crazy, but we know it ain't right.



Try following rules for a bit and see if she backs off.
Follow the rules to the tee.......work you 8 hours and go home.....raciest is a click word now that we have a black president........there are two sides to every story...I don't know hers...you need to look for a new job.......sorry........

No comments:

Post a Comment